Pretty cool, but...
...a change of scenery every now and then, beyond simply changing the location of the lily pad, would be nice. Also, it's a little odd that your "pondskater" can float straight over the bee hive.
As a practical tip, it's good to put an invisible shape behind your text buttons so that people don't have to click specifically on the letters to access a menu item.
Other than the above, this is a pretty solid, enjoyable little game.
Work of art!
Awesome design in all respects, learning curve just challenging enough to make it quite addictive... Just feels and looks spectacular!
Reminiscent of Sam & Max
Don't worry about all these reviews by people who obviously never played any of the classic adventure games, because this is really reminiscent of them. It particularly reminds me of Sam & Max.
Some voices would be the icing on the cake.
Thanks Kennsj! It is for people like you I make games.
Really addictive. I must say though, that I didn't use any of the special moves. They don't seem to be a necessary part of the game.
On a pedantic note, the gate (known as a "torii") you have included to represent the entrance to the "temple" is only ever found at the entrance to a shrine. Temples (which are Buddhist) do not have torii out the front, only shinto shrines.
Anyway, great game overall. Character animations are particularly good, and as I said, the gameplay is really addictive.
thanks, the special moves aren't really neccesary on EASY ( which is the default difficulty ) but in NORMAL or HARD I bet you'll have to use the special abilities a lot :P
Nice work. I couldn't be bothered reading the story, since it's a shooter after all, and the pink obstacles look like pickups until you run into them and explode for the first time, but other than that, this is a pretty awesome game.
I am really damn impressed. The aliens, pickups and character graphics are great, as is the sound design.
I have some constructive criticism to make, which I hope you'll find useful...
- The walls would feel more real if they had some thickness to them.
- There would be a greater sense of threat if the environment were darker.
- The aliens don't seem to need to be all that close to hit you.
- It seems a little silly to find a key card on a dead alien. Do they use doors?
- There are an awful lot of keyboard keys to remember (although that's standard for the genre of game, I suppose).
Looking forward to what you do next with this 3D engine.
What's going on??
It bugged way out for me... I've got Flash Player 8 installed. It loops bizarrely, and I am unable to play it. My 0 star rating is only an indication that I wasn't able to get past the preloader and UKB logo. I didn't put in a rating to affect your submission's score in any way, as I simply couldn't play the game in order to form an opinion on it.
Nice twist, but needs some bugs fixed
Nice look, nice feel, clever new take on an old classic.
Found another bug, though. You can make as many guesses as you like without losing life if you type fast enough.
Political games kick arse
If only the other people who've left reviews for this game could realise that the reactions they've had to the racism in it are the reason you made the racism a feature.
A few criticisms...
1. In the "how to play" screen Jared can jump, but then you can't jump to avoid getting hit by the running pig. Is that intentional?
2. The music is incredibly repetetive and annoying. I understand that this is to try and keep filesize down by using a loop, but it really does grate. Maybe an off switch for the music?
3. The motion feels very limited. It's probably not necessary to have a wider range of motion for the purposes of this game, but you do feel very restricted with just the horizontal motion, particularly when there visually appears to be a bit of room on the Y axis for Jared to move. You could have easily made it possible for him to have a range of three vertical steps, reverting to the profile view after taking a step up or down.
4. The car that comes down the road drives straight "under" the chicken, when it should probably be running it over.
I also didn't like the illustration all that much. That's a style thing though, and purely an opinion-based comment. The guy on the tractor is drawn in a different style from the rest of the characters, and the health display is dynamic text instead of being graphical like the rest of the written elements, which could be seen as consistency issues.
A few things that make this game a winner (IMO)...
1. I love how each character has a different reaction for each comment Jared can make. His range of comments is a very clever comedic device.
2. The storytelling is really well done, thanks to the above-mentioned feature coupled with good writing for the characters.
3. It's a (reasonably sophisticated) political game, employing satire to make a very strong point!
4. There's at least one interactive element on most screens, making it a lot of fun to play. I enjoyed the scarecrow in particular.
Overall, great work!
To finish on a brief personal note, you might find that Quiet Falls has something to offer along similar lines to this game's political message if you give it the time of day.
Hey, thanks for the in-depth review. Glad you enjoyed this game! Its my first game, so I know its imperfect, but you CAN jump over the pig as well as other enemies and bullets, I find it pretty easy and I did it A LOT while testing. I agree with you on almost everything, especially the tight movement range. Hopefully my next game will be better and you will be able to move around on the y-axis as well. I'm also working on improving my drawing skills, but I think this is pretty well done for a first game that is basically one big joke. Oh and about your very first comment... YEAH! EXACTLY!
What about the PSP?
Being that LCS is first and foremost a PSP game, how about a PSP-formatted version of this?
newgrounds.com — Your #1 online entertainment & artist community! All your base are belong to us.